Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 4, 2014: quick note

Re today’s senate meeting (BSTIC 101, 2:00 p.m.)
 
In my recent notes for the Aug. 21 meeting (8/23), I alerted you to proposed changes to BP5530, which concerns student rights. I asked for input but received none. We might vote on the proposed changes today.
 
I also alerted you to the possibility that the notorious Mr. Ray Chandos might be elected to the Board Policy review committee. That’s not good. I was hoping that someone might volunteer to serve on that committee. I’ve heard from no one. It is likely that Chandos will be approved today (though I’ll vote against him).
 
I also indicated that there continue to be roiling issues about our calendar and the possibility of a brief winter (January) intersession. I asked for feedback. Received none. (Brittany, have you heard from anyone?)
 
The senate raised the question of whether IVC should pursue an LGBTQ Campus Liaison. I indicated that there seems to be some resistance to this idea (likely coming from faculty right-wingers). Hopefully, reason will prevail as the matter is discussed at today’s meeting.
 
Also: I indicated that the senate hopes to appoint (senate) reps from among the ranks of adjuncts. (My notes were sent to Humanities adjuncts, not just full-timers.) But I’ve heard from no one. Anyone interested?
 
Depending on whether there are any candidates, we’ll likely have an election of part-time reps at the meeting today.
 
Also, today, the senate might appoint a faculty member to the Budget Development and Resource Planning Committee (BDRPC).

No comments:

Post a Comment